Monday, September 21, 2009

Yesterday, I was at a wedding of a family friend. Now, I was never really close to said friend, so I thought "What the hey. Let's get out and be nice." The result was me being part of a grand celebration of two Chinese families that, well, was just simply EPIC. Dancing, food, drink, brilliant AVP's and song numbers and heartfelt talks and so much more. And they even had RX 93.1's Chico and Delamar as the reception's hosts!

But I think the highlight of the wedding was the homily of Fr. Pete, the priest who celebrated their matrimony. He was already fun in that he would code-switch here and there from Filipino to English to Chinese, and he'd interview the bride and groom "The Buzz" style ("So ano na nararamdaman mo ngayon?") in between points.

He did, however, leave me with what I call "The Parable of the Lovers and the Chopsticks". Or what he simply called how a couple are "like a chopsticks". (Yes, he did say it that way.) Fitting, maybe how it was, it being a wedding of Chinese families! But it was insightful, such it's what I took away most from the wedding.

I'll just paraphrase below:

A couple in love are like chopsticks.

They come from the same piece, and are two equal parts, man and woman. They are equal.


You do not hold them too tight, nor too loosely. Just enough, so they both grow, and it's when they're at the right distance that they are best used.


Where one piece moves, the other stays still and steady. So too are chopsticks, when they work. You cannot pinch the food if both move, or if both don't move.


And more importantly, like chopsticks, one cannot be without the other. They must be held together.

And the hand that holds them both together, is none other than the Lord.

No comments: